Mahindra is one of the biggest automakers on the planet and one of their most popular offerings is the Thar. The Thar might look familiar and there is a reason for that: it was originally derived from the Jeep CJ3B when the company built the Mahindra Major which became the MM550 and then in 2010 it became the Thar. So what does this new model have on offer then? Let’s take a look!
In its all-new avatar, the Thar is a quantum leap in terms of performance, everyday comfort and convenience, technology and safety, as it stays true to its core promise of unmatched off-roading capability and builds on its iconic design compared the model that it replaces and we tend to agree based on looks alone.
Unveiling the All-New Thar, Dr. Pawan Goenka, MD & CEO, M&M Ltd said: “Today, with the unveiling of the All-New Thar, we rewrite history once again. The All-New Thar is firmly rooted in our rich automotive heritage and upholds the Mahindra DNA in its purest form. We are proud of our authentic SUV legacy that has been guarding the freedom of this nation by serving the armed forces since the 1950s (another similarity to an iconic 4×4), while simultaneously becoming the spirit of adventure and a lifestyle icon. The All-New Thar is a dynamic expression of fun, freedom and independence, and is geared up for its next adventure”.
The All-New Thar will not only attract die-hard Thar enthusiasts, but also appeal to all those people who have always dreamt of owning an iconic vehicle, with all the bells and whistles of a contemporary SUV.
Here are 10 key features on the all-new Thar:
- All-new BS-6 compliant Engine options: The 2.0 litre mStallion TGDi Petrol engine and the 2.2 litre mHawk Diesel engine
- New gearbox options: 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission & 6-speed manual transmission mated to an authentic manual shift-on-the-fly 4×4 transfer case
- All-new roof options: A hard top, a first-in-class convertible top and an optional soft top
- All-new seating options: 4 front-facing seats and 2+4 side-facing seats
- All-new technology features: Drizzle resistant 17.8 cm touchscreen infotainment system, cruise control, adventure statistics display and a whole lot more
- All-new comfort and convenience Features: Sporty front seats, roof-mounted speakers and lots more
- New safety features: ABS + EBD, Dual airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, hill-hold and hill descent control and a whole lot more
- First-in-Class Electromechanical Driveline Disconnect
- All-Terrain Tyres 255/65 R18, with White Lettering: The Largest Tyre in its Class
- Ground clearance of 226mm in unladen condition
According to Mahindra, the Thar has represented the spirit of freedom, thrill and fun-to-drive character that few other vehicles can match. With the All-New Thar, Mahindra aims to protect this legacy with superior performance both on and off the tarmac, advanced technology features, excellent safety and everyday ride comfort.
Designed and engineered in India and manufactured out of Mahindra’s Nashik Plant, the All-New Thar will be available in 6 exciting colours, Red Rage, Mystic Copper, Napoli Black, Aquamarine, Galaxy Grey and Rocky Beige.
The big question is whether or not it will be coming to South African shores. The verdict is not clear as of yet but we will update you as soon as it is.