Toyota South Africa recently introduced the new Hilux and that seems to have sparked some innovative thinking with others competing in the segment. Ford South Africa, one of the most competitive in the segment has recently added a few appealing enhancements to their XL Ranger offering. Below is a list of what has been added.
- Visually, Ranger XL models equipped with the Sport Pack are distinguished by an eye-catching gloss black grille that replaces the plain black version used on the standard models. The same exclusive theme continues to the wheel and tyre choice, as the normal 16-inch silver alloy wheels are upgraded to 17-inch Panther gloss black cast alloy rims with larger diameter 265/65 R17 tyres.
- In keeping with its more dynamic appearance, the Sport Pack also adds a tubular sports bar in the rear load compartment, as well as a black rear bumper. Aside from the addition of the Sport Pack to the Ranger XL options list, customers can also opt for the dealer-fitted black side steps that greatly improve access to the cabin – whether using the vehicle on a work site or loading up the family for a weekend of adventure.
- The Ranger XL can now be ordered with Ford’s optional 8 inch touchscreen infotainment system. Although it makes do without embedded voice recognition and navigation, it remains a feature-packed offering incorporating Apple CarPlay and Android Auto when paired with compatible smartphones. This allows users to access the respective phone’s navigation functions or other approved apps such as Waze.
- The system also supports phone calls from a Bluetooth-connected device, text-to-speech for messages and WiFi hotspot compatibility. Two USB slots provide additional multimedia connection options.
- In addition to the expanded options, the Ranger XL is equipped with an impressive list of standard features. The safety package comprises ABS brakes with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) with Traction Control, Hill Launch Assist (HLA), Roll-over Mitigation, Adaptive Load Control and Trailer Sway Control. The four-wheel drive models gain Hill Descent Control (HDC), with a rear diff-lock fitted as standard on all 4×2 and 4×4 derivatives. All Ranger XL models are fitted with a tow bar as standard equipment.
- Dual front airbags are fitted across the board, with ISOFIX child seat mounting points provided on the Double Cab models. Remote-controlled central locking is standard, along with an immobiliser and a Thatcham-specification alarm system with volumetric cabin sensors for added security.
- The Ranger XL is powered by Ford’s proven, economical 2.2-litre four-cylinder Duratorq TDCi engine which produces 118kW of power, along with 385Nm of torque from 1 500 to 2 500 r/min.
The XL Sport Pack adds R16 500 to the base price of the Ranger XL series, while the optional eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system and dealer-fitted side steps are available for R6 080 and R5 050, respectively. All prices include VAT. All-new Ford Rangers come standard with Ford Protect, comprising a four-year/120 000km comprehensive warranty, three-year/unlimited distance roadside assistance and five-year/unlimited km corrosion warranty. A six-year/90 000km service plan is included which covers six services. The recommended service interval is 15 000km or annually, whichever occurs first.