The Toyota Hilux, South Africa’s most loved bakkie has been extensively updated. A new model line-up, engine and a host of additional options have been added to the offering. The result is the most advanced, safest and most powerful Toyota Hilux to date. We spent time with the flagship Legend RS model and here is what you need to know.
- The most visible change are in the front, with new slim-line headlamps (with LED DRLs) flanking an all-new front-grille and bumper design. The new styling gives the Hilux a modern, yet unmistakably tough appearance. More attitude as Anton Willimse puts it.
- The Legend model differs from others such as the Raider by featuring a trapezoidal grille (outlined in black) which integrates with the front bumper, bonnet protector and skidplate, creating an imposing front fascia with dark-plated headlamp inserts and a centred chrome inlay with Toyota insignia.
- Customers can opt for the optional ‘RS’ accessory package which adds to the long list of Legend features. RS, however, doesn’t stand for rally sport or rapid sales, instead, it stands for Roller Shutter.
- A motorised roller shutter, graphite-coloured sportsbar, rubberised bedliner, assisted tailgate with central-locking function and dust-defence kit is offered as part of the kit. This kit did impress us, especially the ease of use, the addition of LED lights within the load area and the dust proofing was appreciated however this RS mode differs drastically in price when compared to the standard Legend model. One must be aware of the near R85 500 premium.
- The new Hilux features an updated interior with subtle elements which add more in terms of comfort and safety. The 8-inch infotainment system incorporates a floating screen-design while retaining rotary adjustment knobs for ease of use.
- The system also features smartphone connectivity such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as well as Toyota Connect capability with complimentary 15GB of data. Control and monitor a host of various aspects about your vehicle via the app which includes a log-book function and service request functions.
- Legend variants receive bespoke interior treatment with a unique accent treatment to the instrument cluster, interior trim panels, switchgear and gear lever. Cool, blue door illumination complements the perforated leather upholstery and black roof lining.
- Double-cab 4×4 Legend models have leather interior trim, electrically adjustable front seats, an impressive 9-speaker JBL Premium audio system with dash-mounted speakers, keyless entry and push-button start.
- The 2.8 GD-6 motor now delivers 150kW and 500Nm in the 6-speed auto (manual models remain at 420Nm). Toyota engineers have improved fuel economy by adopting a larger ball-bearing turbocharger with a larger turbine and impeller and a new common-rail injection system. The upgrades also include new and improved engine rigidity and cooling. Better fuel economy is realised through optimised pistons and piston rings, changes to the cylinder block and head, higher fuel-injection flow rate and the adoption of high-performance materials for the exhaust manifold.
- For the first time on Hilux, the Toyota Safety Sense (TSS, a Pre-collision system, Lane Departure Alert and Adaptive Cruise Control) forms part of the standard inventory on Legend 4×4 models. The Down Hill Decent control has also been modified and now operates slightly slower than before however the 6 –speed auto uses its compression just as well when locked in first gear.
For the full driving impression and adventure story make sure to grab a copy of our magazine.
Legend – 2.8 GD-6 RB LEGEND 6MT R631 900
2.8 GD-6 RB LEGEND 6AT R696 200
2.8 GD-6 4X4 LEGEND 6MT R733 500
2.8 GD-6 4X4 LEGEND 6AT R765 600
4.0 V6 4X4 LEGEND 6AT R765 200
Legend RS – 2.8 GD6 4X4 LEGEND RS AT R851 100
2.8 GD6 4X4 LEGEND RS MT R819 000.00