When Richard Kiggen bought his stock standard 2014 Isuzu KB300 4×4, he had dreams of converting it into the “penthouse” of overlanding vehicles. Much to his frustration, he could not find the quality craftmanship and gear to transform the “basic duckling” into the incredibly wellequipped black beauty it is today. So, he got his hands dirty and used his own skills and knowledge to build his dream vehicle – and through this his business, All In 4×4, was born.
Attention to the finest detail. This is how you would describe Richard Kiggen, owner of the Cape Townbased All In 4×4, when you look at his Isuzu – a bespoke and incredibly well-equipped rig that personifies what overlanders dream of. While this rig certainly will have heads turning, it’s is about much more than aesthetics for Richard.
“I like to spend as much time as humanly possibly out in the bundu, exploring our beautiful country and continent – as such I have learnt first-hand what works and what doesn’t when it comes to overlanding,” he says, adding that his aim with his own rig – and those of his customers – is to be as functional as possible without compromising on little luxuries. This ensures a pleasant time, even in the most barren of areas.
Richard says that the conversions and rigs from “Down Under” particularly appealed to him and as such – in preparation to start All In 4×4 – he embarked on a business trip to Australia to meet with some of the leading outfitters and conversion specialists. “This certainly inspired me to develop processes to ensure world-class products, designed to not only make this lifestyle practical for hardened overlanders but also attractive for those people nervous to explore it due to the overwhelming decisions to make,” he explains.
The journey to convert his own Isuzu into a suitable prototype was one of testing and continuous improvement. The biggest modification was the flatbed (tray) and canopy as this form the heart of this home away from home.
While it can be fully customised, Richard’s Isuzu is as nearperfect a prototype as they come. It features a SnoMaster fridge (resembling a little bar fridge) on the passenger side of the canopy, as well as a pull-out kitchen (or pantry as Richard calls it) on a drop-slider. If you fold open the kitchen, it reveals a platform suitable for a small gas stove and an additional extension for your basin and water. Although quite compact, this kitchen offers adequate space for all your pots, pans, kettle, and other kitchen gear you may need while camping. Next to the unit, there is a drawer with space for canned food, spices and all your plastic containers with odds and ends – cleverly designed in such a way that it will not fall about when you hit those uneven gravel roads. There is also additional space at the back of the canopy, featuring a drawer with a lid that closes securely.
Moving to the driver’s side of the canopy, there are four drawers for clothes, as well as a deeper drawer where the battery charger and inverter is mounted. On top of the drawers is a table and additional packing space for folding chairs. On top of the canopy – with a stepladder mounted on the back – you will find your bedroom in the form of a decently sized rooftop tent (complete with a 7cm high-density foam mattress for additional comfort).
The tray and canopies are built from a mix of steel and aluminium, so it is both super strong and lightweight. Everything is computer designed and laser-cut before it is professionally welded and painted and – proving that it can handle whatever you throw at it – comes standard with a 6-year workmanship warranty. Trays are sandblasted, and all the welds are seal-seamed to protect against water ingress. The units are then acid primed, MS primed, hand blocked and professionally painted. The trays come standard with modern LED lights, as well as built-in spotlights that are connected to either reverse gear or on a switch inside the cabin. On each side of the tray is an orange indication light and the drawer in the middle of the tray is waterproof and lockable. The same goes for the toolboxes behind the wheels.
“It took a long time to find the best combination of factors as we had to give the tray a stylish look, while also considering things like weight saving, a low centre of gravity, functionality, quality, and value for money,” explains Richard, adding that he continues to improve on systems and process to ensure his customers always get the highest quality gear.
At aglance: the All in 4×4 flatbed(tray)
- Fully welded and sealed custom steel tray chassis, and 2mm steel one-piece mudguards, with all other parts and accessories made from aluminium.
- 2 x CAD designed undertray tapered aluminium toolboxes, lockable with 2 x flush mount push locks.
- 8mm rubber mudflaps using stainless steel hardware.
- Lockable and waterproof aluminium drawer with lid, which can also be used as a worktable.
- Removable 5mm checker-plate (vastrap) aluminium flooring.
- Imported flush mount LED combination taillights.
- Flush mount LED reverse flood lights.
- Fuel filler cap.
- Vehicle-specific chassis mounts (no universal mounting attachments, thus ensuring the strongest mounting).
- All stainless-steel mounting hardware where applicable.
- Colour-coding to your vehicle.
- Tie down points.
- Drop-sides double walled 3mm aluminium.
- Built-in ARB air compressors.
- Toolbox interior lights.
- Pull-out storage drawer with interior lights.
- Removable headboard with recessed work lights.
- Fixed headboard with recessed work lights and build-in fuel or water tanks.
At a glance: the All in 4×4 canopy
- A completely TIG welded custom shaped canopy designed to suit your vehicle brand and model.
- Tubular canopy frame with additional interior structure support creating a strong canopy chassis.
- Extra roof support, and customer-specific mounting points, for different types of roof racks and rooftop tents.
- The aluminium canopy body is laser-cut and bent and fully TIG welded around the canopy frame.
- The canopy is professionally painted in black as standard.
- Fitted with one removable spare wheel carrier.
- Internal wiring concealed within canopy frame.
- 2 x interior lights.
- 2 x colour changing gullwing door lights.
- 2 x exterior rear work lights.
- Flush fitting recessed gullwing doors with internal structural support (with stainless steel flush mount locks).
- Pneumatic gas struts mounted so doors open flush with canopy roof.
- Interior insulation (to keep cool in summer) finished with carpeted plywood panels.
- Standard and custom electronic packages.
- Standard and custom storage cupboards.
- Build-in air compressors
- High-gloss colour-coded to vehicle paint finish, including extra sanding and polishing to ensure a better-than-factory finish.
- Colour-coded or aluminium internal canopy dividers.
- Extra removable and adjustable spare wheel carrier.
- Jerry can and/or gas bottle carrier.
- Removable stainless steel or aluminium fold-out ladder.
- Removable canopy roof rails.
- 2 kitchen type options.
- Standard and custom pantries.
*Other products on offer from the All In 4×4 stable include customised dogbox canopies (a perfect balance between enclosed and open packing space), snorkels for most brands, bush guards, and rock sliders.
CONTACT: +27 73 488 8802 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.allin4x4.co.za